Friday, January 11, 2013

An Unplugged Ceremony

Like Mrs. Mink, I pondered some time ago the unplugged ceremony. After reading Mrs. Mink's post again, I went and visited the article she mentions on Offbeat Bride about the unplugged wedding ceremony. Once again, I saw this gem of a photo:

Image via Offbeat Bride / Photo by Aurora-Photography

Now. As someone who works as a social media manager, I totally understand capturing moments and sharing them. Even from a guest perspective, I can see why they would want to capture their own photos of the day. Heck, as a bride, I know I'm going to be really impatient to get my photos back, so I'm actually looking forward to seeing some guest photos... of the reception.

(Image via Instagram user fletcherdonivon of the lovely Savannah's wedding)

That's right - of the reception. I know, I know - some people (including some of our guests) will see it as rude that we request them to put away their cameras and phones during the ceremony. I'm sure there may be some disappointment that they're being asked not to Instagram, tweet, and etc. throughout our ceremony. But as someone who spends so much time on social media, I can very easily attest to the fact that when I post a photo, I'll take a quick scroll down my feed. Sure - I'll send that tweet quickly, but then I'll see another tweet and want to respond. Or maybe I'll get a text when I go to take that photo, and respond to that after I get my photo. While I'm sure not everyone gets sucked in like me, I know a lot of people do.

So instead of getting photos back with guests looking at their laps, we're going to ask guests to disconnect during the ceremony. The recessional? Throughout the reception? Please snap away, discreetly. (That's my nice way of saying don't get in Stacy's way.) 


(Image via Instagram user jacirenea, again of the lovely Savannah's wedding)

Now the question becomes, since we're skipping programs, how will we communicate this request to our guests? I feel very strongly about this, so it's important to me that it's communicated very clearly. Well, first, it will be on our chalkboard program. We're also going to ask our DJ to announce our request just as the ceremony begins. Hopefully these two reminders will allow our guests to be present with us as we enjoy what the whole day is really about - the ceremony.

If you had an unplugged ceremony - how did it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment